Iran says enriching uranium is a right they won’t negotiate.
BY Mahnoor | 19-05-2026

Ebrahim Rezaei, a spokesperson for Iran’s Parliament’s National Security Commission, said on Tuesday that “any new attack on Iran will face a tougher response and embarrass Trump even more,” according to a post on X by Iranian state TV, IRIB.
“The Americans must either agree to our terms through talks, or face the strength of our missiles and give up.”
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said in a statement on IRIB that Iran will not negotiate its right to enrich uranium.
“Iran has the right to enrich uranium. What others say about it is unimportant!”
The UN wants free access to the Strait of Hormuz, despite Iran’s increased control.
When asked about Iran possibly creating an authority to manage shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, a UN spokesperson, Farhan Haq, stated they don’t want any group limiting access to this important waterway, according to Al Jazeera.
“In the end, we want to ensure everyone can freely travel the seas and the Strait of Hormuz,” Haq stated.
Trump stated he stopped an attack on Iran and hinted that a nuclear agreement might be reached.
On Monday, US President Donald Trump announced that he stopped a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace offer to Washington. He said there is now a ‘very good chance’ of making a deal to limit Iran’s nuclear program.
After Iran offered a new peace plan, Trump said he told the military to cancel tomorrow’s planned attack on Iran. However, he also ordered them to be ready to launch a full, large attack on Iran immediately if a good deal isn’t made.
This attack was not announced before, and Reuters couldn’t confirm if there were plans for strikes. Such strikes would restart the war that Trump began in late February.
Facing pressure to make a deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has said he hoped to end the war soon. He also warned of strong attacks on Iran if they don’t agree to a deal.
He said that the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates asked him to delay the attack. They told him a deal was coming that would be good for the U.S., the Middle East, and other countries. He didn’t say what the deal was about.
Later, he told reporters that the U.S. would be happy with a deal that stops Iran from getting a nuclear weapon.
Trump said there’s a good chance they can find a solution. He’d be happy if they could do it without bombing them.
Trump decided not to attack after Iran said they told the U.S. what they thought via Pakistan, according to Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei, who didn’t share specifics.
Iran remains firm
Iran firmly stated in official media after Trump’s announcement that the US and its allies should avoid making any more mistakes in attacking Iran. They claimed that the Iranian military is now better prepared and stronger than before.
A top Iranian military command, Khatam al-Anbiya, stated that Iran’s military is prepared to retaliate if the US attacks again, according to Iran’s Tasnim news agency.
The commander of Khatam al-Anbiya, Ali Abdollahi, stated that any new act of aggression or invasion will face a swift, decisive, powerful, and widespread response.
A top Iranian source said the Iranian peace plan is much like their earlier one, which Trump dismissed last week as ‘garbage’.
The priority is to end the war, reopen the Strait of Hormuz (a key oil route blocked by Iran), and remove shipping restrictions.
Washington seems to be easing up
A high-ranking Iranian source said that the U.S. seems to be easing its position and has agreed to release a quarter of Iran’s frozen funds, which are billions of dollars in foreign banks. Iran wants all of the money released.
The Iranian source also stated that Washington had become more agreeable in allowing Iran to proceed with some non-military nuclear actions, monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The US hasn’t said it agreed to anything in the discussions.
Tasnim, an Iranian news source, quoted someone unnamed saying that the US agreed to remove oil-related sanctions on Iran while they were talking.
Iranian officials haven’t yet responded to the Tasnim report. A US official, who wanted to remain anonymous, said the report was wrong.
A delicate ceasefire is holding after six weeks of war that started with US and Israeli airstrikes on Iran. Now, drones have been launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries like Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. It’s claimed that Iran and its allies are responsible, but this hasn’t been proven and Iran denies it.
On Monday, the Foreign Ministry released a statement criticizing a drone attack from Sunday. Saudi Arabia reported that it stopped three drones entering the country from Iraq.
ZW News HD